Canadian Tire First Shift
An intro hockey program for kids
The First Shift program is designed to ensure a positive experience for new-to-hockey families by offering a low-cost entry program to hockey.
The Canadian Tire First Shift program aims to make hockey:
Open to all Canadian children between the ages of 6 and 10 years old that have never previously been registered in minor hockey. On-ice sessions with fun drills are always on the same day of the week, same time and same arena.
$199 registration fee that includes a full set of BAUER equipment and six on-ice trial sessions.
Proper-sized BAUER equipment fitted by Canadian Tire First Shift fit experts and Hockey Canada-provided insurance
Hockey Canada on-ice curriculum with drills focused on fun range hockey experiences to stimulate a desire for continued participation in hockey.
The Canadian Tire First Shift program has taken the country by the storm; the evolution of this program is unprecedented as it continues to realize enrolment at an amazing pace and an even more impressive level of excitement for this unique hockey experience.
– Tom Renney
CEO, Hockey Canada
How to register your child in the
Canadian Tire First Shift
The Canadian Tire First Shift is open to boys and girls, between the ages of 6 and 10 year old, who have never previously enrolled in minor hockey within Canada
The Canadian Tire First Shift kicks off with a welcome event which is our opportunity to welcome you into our hockey community.
During the welcome event, we will be introduce you and your child to the local program administrators, and coaches, provide an overview of the 6-week program, and offer important information about proper fit and maintenance of equipment.
Welcome to our hockey family
Grow your membership by hosting a Canadian Tire First Shift in your community. Here are some of the numerous benefits to hosting this fabulous hockey program:
- Flexible program to suit your minor hockey association and community needs
- Bauer support with logistic, shipments and equipment
- Interactive website containing all the information and dates regarding the program Online management portal, enabling hosts to view all aspects of their program in real time
- Hockey Canada support for any questions related to hosting, insurance on-ice curriculum and next steps into minor hockey
- Equipment package for your coaches including: track suit, gloves, stick and helmet
- Be leaders in sport and the development of all youth by hosting this national program
Find a firstshift program near you
Our Transition Program is intended to provide participants a path forward to ensure continued participation in hockey. Following the initial 6-week On-Ice Trial, families will have the opportunity to participate in a program hosted by the Minor Hockey Association. The Hockey Canada on-ice curriculum is progressive; moving from a Learn to Play, through the fundamentals of skating and hockey skills, on to a 3 on 3 play environment.